Foiling in Puerto Rico in December

I’m headed to Isabela / Aguadilla area of PR in the end December into January. Keen to try SUP foil or Wing Foil. Have some experience with prone. Looking for someone that rents gear or teaches. Any recommendations welcome. Thanks :pray:

Shacks beach is great for foiling, and winging .

3 Likes

Hey Greg! Just got back from PR Monday and it was pretty sick. I was mainly in San Juan, and Ocean Park is actually an awesome spot for wing foiling especially learning to wave ride on the outer reef. I went to Isabella and checked out Shacks, but no one out there rents boards so I went back to SJ. I’ll share more via text!

2 Likes

This is great to hear, did you check out any other spots?
How deep was the reef at Ocean Park? Any concerns about slamming coral heads?

There are a couple deep spots to foil at the reef. Punta las Marias and then just to left (downwind) of a rock they call ‘Waimea’. As long as it is not too big ~10ft + there’s a channel/ space to get out in no problem. I rode it in the 5-8ft range and it it was super manageable. Even getting washed by a few waves I was okay with my gear ( I probably got lucky too).

I surfed Jobos too. You can foil there out to the left of the surfing peak when the waves are smaller. Shacks looked less intimidating to foil then I thought it would be, but you should probably know what you are doing :wink:

It looks like N1 watersports / kite Puerto Rico has it pretty dialed in.
no experience with them but have watched lots of their YouTube videos

Its awesome, was there 2x over last winter. Shacks is awesome for prone.
But major DW potential like 5-15 mile DW runs starting farther east, or going past shacks down to wilderness etc.

1 Like