Hood River Runs

Hey Zarb, I would leave my gear at the hatchery end of the run. Lots of folks doing this, then I would simply get myself back to my car, via hitching a ride, walking or running. Then I’d drive back to get my gear, turn around, and drive back to the launch. This worked fine for the short stretch from Swell City to the Hatchery. For longer runs, I’d want to set up a shuttle with a friend. I’m not sure how traffic, ride availability, and gear safety change as the season gets going, as I’m not a local.

1 Like

I wouldn’t want to walk Hwy 14 West of Swell City in either direction, carrying foil gear or not. Not much of a shoulder on either side and plenty of loaded log trucks doing 100kph. Between Swell and the Hatchery you can kinda get away with it as it’s a short distance.

Hey @Bonifacio, I spent last night on Google street view checking that stretch between Swell and Hatch. Seems OKAY with the exception of a few small parts where it seems like you’d have to jump the barrier and walk through the long grass? I might cut out a section of pool noodle to pad the mast so it doesn’t hurt to have my board slung over my shoulder on the walk - then I can walk with a fully assembled setup, and then just stash the padding and flipflops in a fannypack while I do the runs. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hey Noripplez, were you the fella from Orcas Island crusing with Kent?

Frothers remember you can always wing upwind and paddle downwind. A good compression backpack and a paddle on the wing will have you smiling and forgetting about the deets.

Yes…Did we meet?

Yes we did. I was a lone foiler at the take out early a.m. riding axis gear.