Jet foil assist

I’ve been wondering when something like this would come along. Funny that only with downwind has the e-jet become relevant to foiling

https://www.instagram.com/p/C2bwSicPP-p/

2 Likes

one upside, no pod on mast, so now e-brakes each time pod goes under water

potentially alot of downsides, probably way heavier board overall, limited pop-ups, you have to pump the heavy board and cant get a foil assisted wave-link.

probably best upside is no motor that can shred your leg or arm. So alot safer.

not sure what market this is targeted towards, but give big kudos on the novel concept, its not another FD copy. Is it good though? Time will tell. Im skeptical

6 Likes

The DIY angle on these is pretty compelling, far fewer moving parts, cabling, props, drag etc. Just gouge out your prone board and jam one of these into it :joy:

6 Likes

Hi all

Those water jets are only good for around 7kg of thrust. It’s what I started with :rofl:

I started this project back in 2019 and had the first working proto in the water in 2020 it’s taken a huge amount of time to get to where we are now.

Minimising the weight and distributing it perfectly over the center of lift was one of my biggest goals.

Everything including custom motors and electronics has been built and we have achieved just over 25kg of thrust in a board including batteries that are good for around 80 boosts that weighs between 6 to 7kg

For the people that want the ultimate in freedom I love riding the jet for prone, downwind and Winging. And can easily pump the board around. For the people that want a hybrid efoil we have a UHM fully intergrated mast with a 40mm motor mounted high for the least amount of drag even when the motor dips in the water.

Cheers, Chris

16 Likes

@oceanfrother Congrats Chris on the launch, very interesting and a great innovation! Love the idea and it looks like a great product. Pity about the 7kg then, so need at least 3! :joy: Would love to see some of the protos one day.

The jet alone appeals as a “FD advanced” for DW where you are beyond the need to efoil and just need an assist to get on foil. Very cool.

Thanks @Matt . It’s been a huge ambitious project but well worth it. Everyone that has ridden the board absolutely loves it.

2 Likes

@oceanfrother This looks amazing, serious kudos! As someone who loves the idea of ‘prone’ DWing (rather than SUP DWing) but doesn’t necessarily have the chipping-in skills to be comfortable ‘offshore’, this is a game changer… Can’t wait to learn more :ok_hand: :call_me_hand:

3 Likes

Thanks Chris, we are looking forward to these incredible products :+1: :+1:

@misterbennetts Alright, spill it! How sick was it?

2 Likes

whats the target price point?

3 Likes

7kg is really good compared to what is out now. Plus, on a DW board, having a bit of weight, especially when its nuking, is not a bad thing. Smooths out the pitch stability on the big ones. Very cool tech, looks like Adam is pumping it pretty good too. When will it be released and how much?

2 Likes

Just so everyone is clear that is around 7kg board and jet without foil so depending on what foil you bolt on you have to add that.

4 Likes

So, about the same weight as a dw sup. EPIC!

With something like the boosted board, I don’t think you can power out to the wind/swell. Bennetts makes it look sick but I’m sure he’s launching from a boat in those shots. While paddling or chipping out to the swell line might work in some instances but I think the ability to efoil out is a big benefit to the mast mounted options (at least in conditions I would use this in).

2 Likes

I think this is two fold.

On the one side, you cannot efoil back out.

On the other side, if you get low on the mast, there is not a motor unit to drag you down.

2 Likes

It has a paddle assist mode. :grinning:

Is there a button or two somewhere on the nose of the board?

A full screen, but yeah a button. Apparently, they’re also working on an autopilot system that will turn it on and off automatically.

Yes we use paddle assist to get out to the wind line. To far to paddle without it :wink:

All modes turn off automatically and use the same software to control the jet. The two main differences is how it starts, instant : press the button and start paddling, we take care of the rest. Auto start paddling and the system will sense that and turn on for you.

6 Likes

Can you explain paddle assist a little?