New Armstrong MA

It feels like Axis is overdue to release a set of foils geared more towards prone. These foils would ideally have the speed and glide of an ART, the pump of a PNG, the versatility of an HPS and the ease of a BSC. One can only hope.

2 Likes

Hey!! On the HA925, I felt the same after 3 sessions and was about to swear it off and return to the HS1250. That all changed after a single wing session. Once I had it on foil for a while and got used to it, it made all the difference. It is now my favorite wing. I ride it with a chopped 232. You do have to be well placed when u pop up because it is not forgiving, but I actually find it easier to carve then the 1250. I have been thinking about MA 1000 and certainly would love to take one for a spin, but I am not sure it will be a worthwhile investment given I have a 925 and HS1250. especially considering I am trying to connect more waves and donā€™t want to lose the pump on the 925. U might want to give it another try. Good luck!

Iā€™ve really been enjoying the 800 and 1000. Still early days with only one prone session and a few wing sessions.

Re breaching - the 800 and 1000 are so skitz!! On a big onshore bay wing session, I flat breached the 800riding toeside, with a bit of power in the wing overhead, while dropping in on a decent sized swell. The foil literally was skipping across the water, dropping an inch into the water and coming out to skip along again. (I had my mast a bit too far forward). After 5 seconds of this I ended up stepping off the side of the board - Iā€™d just never experienced anything like that. It wouldnā€™t go under and wouldnā€™t loose lift. Next time Iā€™ll be ready and hopefully have the mast a bit more dialed in so I can control it when at max speed. Going to be a game changer with airs and confidence.

Winging these MAs make the shorter 795 mast a dream, as breach is not a concern at all.

First wing session on the 205 surf stab went really well. Didnā€™t come off foil in trying light conditions for 14 miles. Except for one flat breach trying to find max speed (21mph) with the 1000. Came out of the broad reach and turned downwind and lost focus for a millisecond. Needed to slide mast back to control lift at high speed, running blue and red shim.

2 Likes

What Armstrong front wings are people mostly riding for prone? I know someone looking to change to something faster and more pump-able than HS1250, the rest of CF and HS range both look too low aspect to get any real glide.

The HA range and MA are obvious next steps. But the HA will could be hard on the low energy waves, and Iā€™m reading the MA pump isnā€™t great, anyone who primarily prone foils Armstrong can you share favorite set ups for prone and linking waves?

130 ish lbs, 1-3 ft waves

1 Like

How much does he/she weigh and what sort of waves? I am 150# and on low energy east coast US waves. The 1225 is a dream with HA195 tail, 72 mast and 60 fuse. I flat water pumped it over 1000ā€™ the other day and I am a 65 year old average pumper. I am anxious to use the MA1000 on a bigger day. Iā€™ve used the 1000 behind a big wake boat and winged with it many times. It rips in waves. I canā€™t pump the 1000 as far but far enough to connect waves.

just edited post - 130 ish and 1-3 ft waves. Maybe 925 would be good then?

1 Like

Hereā€™s a vote for the 725 :joy:

925 is a tricky foil for prone unless heā€™s fairly accomplished.

To try to dispel the myth that all the Armstrong MA foils donā€™t pump, hereā€™s a clip by my friend @frozenfoiler following me around an island on the local lake today. Iā€™m not even a good pumper but the 1225 makes me look competent. https://www.instagram.com/reel/CtAYVLLgpW7/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Nice, yeah thats great pumping. Looks good, 1225 is pretty big for prone hopefully the 1000 can do that similarly for a lighter rider