No Limitz v2 vs Cedrus Evolution - mast comparisons

Always excited when Surf Doc Steve drops a new review/comparison. He just published his thoughts on the new masts and the general murmurs that I have been hearing about Cedrus having the upper hand on this round seem to be reinforced by his review. Unfortunately, he’s not a winger so his perspective is limited to prone and foildrive focused experiences but still good info for consideration!

https://foilsurfing.net/project-cedrus-evolution-no-limitz-thoughts/

3 Likes

The main question for me is when availability will pick up for the Evolution Cedrus

1 Like

I have always enjoyed Steve’s reviews.

Being a weight nerd myself, I wonder why there was not a specific weight to weight comparison. He listed the Nolimitz with foil drive weight, but not the Cedrus.

I think you just missed it. It’s in there tho.

we are already assembling the next batch of masts and will open up deposits next week. You can sign up for the newsletter on our site to be notified. We are revamping our order process with a new Shopify site for an improved experience, but even if that’s not ready in time, we’ll use our old site at least for the time being since there’s a lot of demand for Evolution and we’re excited to make masts for you!

7 Likes

Thanks Kyle…if you are looking for something to do with all that free time you must have these days…perhaps some weight specs on the website? Or maybe I’m just missing them…

They’re not up yet. For now you can trust Steve’s review which shows about 0.7lbs heavier than NoLimitz. Evolution is still lighter than just about every other high modulus [solid] carbon mast out there. I’ll get weights published in the new site when it launches. Thanks.

4 Likes

:woman_facepalming:t2:Yup, you’re right. I missed it.

1 Like

While I do appreciate a lightweight kit, I’ve definitely settled in to preferring performance over the lightest thing on the market.

What I don’t see though is mast length…??? That’s pretty critical for weight reference unless I am missing that?

2 Likes

Good point. I guess I assumed that Steve was riding equal or near equal lengths.

Steve is riding equal length masts. Obviously there is a small +/- cm variance in length of the whole stackup, but the impacts are small as most of the weight of a hollow carbon mast is at the ends (mounts and adapters).

We also used to be weight weenies, and this was a key driver in our Classic design. But we found through our survey last year that riders prefer lower drag vs. lower weight, so we built what they asked for. This is why Evolution is about 10-15% heavier than the Classic, but 20-30% faster… and more expensive :face_with_peeking_eye:

3 Likes

I expect same length but I guess I wanted to know the length for comparison to our non Cedrus masts. It looks like his No Limitz is a 78, but I don’t see numbers on the Cedrus. Doesn’t a 78 No Limitz actually mean 80? There’s something about the size ordered is altered by adaptors kind of thing if I remember correctly.

Basically, I want to compare those weights to my 66cm, 76cm, 86cm masts.

The Cedrus is 77.5 and both masts have adapters which add to the length. The total length is probably around 82 from board to end of the fuselage plug for both masts (no brand measures the same). You can compare the weight of NL to your masts, and then add 0.7lbs for Cedrus weights.

1 Like

Greatly appreciated!

Here’s some photos, various weights in grams
Cedrus Evolution Wing 87.5cm (about 92cm total length)
Compared with Gong HM92cm (about 95cm total), same weight but not as stiff as Cedrus. And Gofoil V1.5 36.5", about 92cm, both same weight because the aluminium Gofoil adapter weights more than the mast! Both seems similar stiffness.

Beautiful mast.
Full wave riding mast test next 2 weeks on Gofoil & Gong foils. Looking forward to it. So far I can’t ventilate it on limited testing in winter here. Seems like a very slippery mast.

Thanks @JohnVu for sharing. Please not the GoFoil “adapter” is actually an entire fuselage. Admittedly it’s a bit heavy but it’s the only solution for a modular GoFoil setup with Cedrus.

2 Likes

Yes sorry, it’s the entire fuselage.
Comes to same weight and stiffness.
Pro: it’s modular, Cons: it’s a lot more bolts, but then no other foils on the market use only 2 bolts.
The adapter is same dimension as the Gofoil V2 mast, so have to move the mast back a bit vs Gofoil V1.5.

On the upcoming trip tomorrow South, I’m only taking a Cedrus mast and a mix of Gofoil& Gong foils.

1 Like

Because of higher speeds and longer mast length, is it safe to assume Evolution Wind would be better for towing

That is the design intent, yes. However, in smooth conditions (no wind chop) and off-wind sailing we expect the Surf model to perform just as well at speed and there could be added benefits to the reduced wetted area of the design. Evolution Wind was optimized for close-hauled sailing, hard upwind in choppy conditions when ventilation is most likely to occur. Tow foiling is a different beast. The added torsional stiffness of Wind may improve control and reduce “speed wobble,” but it remains to be seen if the added ventilation resistance is necessary given that no riders have experienced ventilation or control issues with either mast. For sure in the longer lengths (90cm+) Evolution Wind is the only option for tow, but in the crossover-region (80-90cm) either mast will work and riders may prefer one over the other depending on their weight, foils, speed, style, etc. We’ve got an Evolution Wind in the hands of tow foilers in Hawaii right now, and will continue to share more reviews/data as we get it.

1 Like

What’s the longest the surf comes in?