Progression 140 just arrived! First ride

Rode mine yesterday for the first time with the shiv (even foot) 13 tail with the 0 shim and went great. I also weigh 145 lbs and felt like it was still loose enough for me. That foil feels very balanced and has an incredible low end stall speed yet is nimble and maneuverable. It was a typical florida knee to thigh high day and it will now be my daily driver. For reference I primarily rode the lift HA 120/26 carve.

3 Likes

Had a chance to log a couple session over the last few days on my Progression 140 (one of which was with @Novo-caine ). I’ve been riding the Hyper2 170 for the last few months and noticed the additional glide of the Progression right away. Whereas the Hyper2 requires a generally light but consistent pump cadence to maintain speed on the way to a connection, the Progression 170 allows you skip every third pump or so, providing those quick recover breaks while up and riding. Maneuverability is fantastic and breaching a tip doesn’t result in any adverse movements, which is a welcomed change from the Hyper2.

3 Likes

Greg are you comparing to Hyper 210 “2”?
Did you ever downwind the original Hyper 190? Wondering how the 170 compares

Yes I’m refering to Hyper2. I used to dw a lot with Hyper1 170/190/210, easy go ride and good at their time especially since there were the first (with sign but it was all Clifford desing so the same) with good glide but felt a little slow.

Cheers thanks considering a used one for beginner DW to complement the progression 140 that is arriving soon… I hope

So should I dump Axis and move to Unifoil, or whats the verdict here

3 Likes

I still ride Axis for winging (ART799 & ART999) but for prone, I couldn’t wait any longer for the new surf wing to come out so I jumped ship.

I know it will have less top end than the two ARTs, but I’m going to give the Progression 170 a go one the wing as riding bumps will be great with the glide as will the ability to turn. My 999 glides for days but turning it, even with a small tail, is a chore.

In the future, if funds permit, I’ll go with an ML setup to wing. That being said, I would like to try the Vyper 90 or 130 on the 95cm Katana mast and compare to my Axis setup.

3 Likes

I’ve only gotten a single wing session with 20 knot sideshore and tiny wind bumps on the P170 and was winging the H170 a lot, and honestly I see no downside for the P170 compared to the H170, only upsides. The progression rides so well composed and it makes everything effortless. IMHO, it turns more predictively, glides waaaaaaaaaaaaay better, and I don’t notice any loss in the top end at all. I wouldn’t be surprised if the P170 is slower top end compared to the H170, but I haven’t noticed it yet. Progression definitely breaches better, tip or whole foil hops.

For reference, I’d say I’m an advanced winger and prone surfer, but I don’t want to have to work hard.

6 Likes

Has anyone designed shims for the KDMaui Marlin tail that fills the gap on the Unifoil fuse?

1 Like

Would love to hear feedback on the progression 140 in head high and over head waves if anyone has used it in those conditions yet. I’d like to hear how it compares to kujira 980 in terms of speed and roll.

@KDW ill ask kane for his interface

4 Likes

Thanks Cliff. The Unifoil shims are very high quality.

1 Like

I fill the gap with tropical wax

1 Like

The foilparts Takuma tail adapter might also work. The $20 part basically just marries a flat mount to a curved profile tail. It is intended to work with a Takuma tail, but it also works with some of the KD tails I have.

Winged on the 140 progressive for about two hours the other day in 2.8 conditions here in the Gorge (Rowena to Dougs stretch), medium fuse, shunt 0°. 85Kg, mainly riding the Go Foil 850 HA and front straps so had to come in and move the mast forward about 1.5" and probably should have gone about another 1/2"+. Super turny and precise with the Katana mast, better glide than I expected. I could certainly use the long fuse in those conditions as it’s more bigger radius higher speed turns. I’d have to work on tuning the tail for more front foot or maybe just moving the mast forward more to keep my rear leg from flaming out (too much fun to come in!) but that’s an easy fix at the right launch. Getting in/out of the water at Rowena in 35+ and messing with screwdrivers is no fun so can’t fault the foil. I’d love to spend more time on it in more reasonable conditions, It could be a one foil quiver around here.

Coming from go foil you’re gonna want to move it way forward. Try to keep the shimming to a minimum as that will keep the foil fast and it will roll faster. Hope that helps!

Got some waves on the 140 this Am. Feels like the front foot pressure is built in to the wing and it doesn’t need help from the tail. Curious if anyone has found a sweet spot yet? Tried -.5 and think I need to go -.75 or -1 (Marlin 14, have yet to try others that’s just been my fav for cranking carves on the H170)

On this session I was using Hyper2 170/kat75/medfus/13"shiv 0°. I like this foil, I only rode it couple times but I had really good time on it. But now with the Prog140, I don’t know if I want to use it anymore.
The Prog140 pumps better, surfs better and is more foregiven (really low stall speed).
I use the same tuning, I want to be really comfortable on this tuning then I will test different things (shorter fus, shorter stab, base plat shim, tail shiming, etc…).
What I like about the 140 is you can really push on your turn (actually you really have to, to make it work), tips can come out you won’t fall, you won’t eve notice at some point.
The glide is really good, you can let the foil glide for a long time for exemple when getting out of the wave, between each pump, etc…

What I like and what I feel with this foil is the potential, it seems to me it will help me getting better,

4 Likes

A few sessions in chest-head high proning and winging on the prog 140, first feel is :

• Pump and glide like the kujira 1095
  • Rolls like the cabrinha H800
  • Pitch stable across the speed range
  • Handles breaching really well
  • Relatively slow, prob the speed range of the cabrinha H1000 (?) To be confirmed.

It’s the best prone foil I have ever tried, the combo glide/roll is out of this world. But to me it feels maxed out in speed above chest high on the swells we have here (~12sec period), so it’s definitely a limitation there, it’s been tuned for slow waves I think (which is totally understandable and fair enough).
Will report back after some more testing in smaller conditions.

3 Likes

The P170/P140/Katana combo is looking super high-end, great job Cliffy and Erik! So far I only had a chance to take out my P170 out winging in light wind in Seattle. Enjoying the pump and glide, dialing in the tails and shims. My most recent daily driver has been the new Lift 150hax, which is perfectly balanced for my weight (170 lbs), with a 32 glide tail (with a bunch of other tail waiting for their turn). I’m trying to recreate a similar front/back distribution. I started on the Shank/0, now on Shunt/+2 with the mast all the way forward, which seems to give me similar amount of front foot pressure as 150hax/32. Do folks who ride both Lift and Progressions have any data points on their configurations?