Prone a Wingboard?

Wondering if anyone has tried prone surfing a larger wing board (~90L)? I want to learn to prone foil after the windy season dies down and was wondering if anyone used their wing board to dial in their pop-ups before moving to a prone-specific setup. Figure paddling will be weird because of the wider board but hoping it makes learning a bit easier instead of going directly to a low-volume prone board.

1 Like

It is doable but very far from ideal. Typical 90l wing boards are super wide which will make paddling pretty difficult. I prone my 60l Armstrong FG on smaller days. Would not go wider than that and honestly itā€™s way to wide. Makes the pop up more difficult if you use the rails as you have so much leverage that the board will roll pretty quickly. If you donā€™t balance your weight carefully.

My Armstrong 4,5 SKT is oddly easier in every way except catching gutless small waves earlier where the extra volume helps.

Look for a used 5.0 or bigger prone board. Thatā€™s will be great for your first year.

1 Like

This is exactly how I started. I had 5ā€™6ā€™ā€™ 100L, it worked ā€˜fineā€™. I lasted 3 sessions before I went out and bought a prone board 4ā€™9ā€™ā€™ 39L. Enjoy the journey and lean forward on takeoff.

4 Likes

Iā€™m doing exactly that on a 90 litre 5ā€™4ā€ KT Wing Drifter. Iā€™m 62 and out of surfing for 20 years so the extra buoyancy is working well for me.
My setup is Axis ART1099/ 375p/ short black fuselage, 60cm mast.
The 1099 span means that itā€™s not too twitchy and it comes up smoothly. Itā€™s not scary at all.
Iā€™ve had my first few short flights on my feet after taking a baby-steps approach of a couple of bellyride flights, followed by a couple of all-fours flights.
Getting to my feet was happening too slowly to fly for a session or two, but itā€™s ok now.
I expected it to be incredibly difficult and take forever to learn, but with a wingfoil background itā€™s much easier than I expected.
Itā€™s really really fun so give it a whirl, Earl!

2 Likes

Iā€™ve attempted to prone on my 5ā€™6ā€ 105L Quatro Wing Drifter. It worked fine to get a feel for it, but Iā€™ve since changed focus from prone to SUP on the same board.

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice. The plan would definitely be to limit this to a few sessions to practice paddling, pop up, wave selection, etc. Would then get a larger prone specific setup to really learn on.

Nice! Will definitely be giving this a try

Iā€™ve tried it and hate it but if that is your only option it is worth a go

Would a 5ā€™8 52L prone specific board be good for year one or should I go shorter? Weigh around 175 lb if that helps

For other wingers considering giving it a goā€¦
I donā€™t actually paddle that much. I walk out to chest deep water with a 60cm mast and catch white water. Iā€™ve just started getting short 3-second flights but the learning journey is awesome after an initial few bumps.
Iā€™m hoping that as my flights get longer and I learn to pump that, instead of paddling until my arms drop off, Iā€™ll walk out, chip into whitewater, pump my way out and repeat until my heart bursts through my chest.
Itā€™s just a different kind of cardio. :slight_smile:
Mid tide is best at my local spot. High tide and low tide give fewer sandbars from which to choose, whereas mid-tide provides a range of sandbars with gutters in between. Prior to this I was getting spooked by waves that were getting super steep or closing out.
Those close-outs were delivering white water that was far too powerful for me to catch.

Yeah, give it a bash!

1 Like

buddy is trying/learning on a gong inflatable. Itā€™s funny to watch, like surfing a pool toy. But it works ok. Might actually be a good initial learning platformā€¦easy and stable (he can stand up on flat water), and so buoyant it catches virtually anything.

2 Likes

Probably a good way to use what you have already and have your first prone foil board be something a bit smaller and hopefully more pumpable than what you would otherwise need to start on without any practice on a wing board. Not ideal but if it saves you needing to buy a beginner prone board that you wouldnā€™t use for long thatā€™s a plus

1 Like

Yes, Iā€™ve proned my 4ā€™ 10" X 25" 70L wingboard quite a bit and had a good time on it. I caught waves easily and the pop-up was actually pretty easy. The board was all carbon and super light about 10lbs. It was nice having one board for everything. Eventually, I sold the board because I wasnā€™t satisfied with its performance as a wingboard. Now I have a dedicated prone board that Iā€™ve been enjoying for the last 6 months and itā€™s 58L. Trying to keep the progression going, I just scored a 45L board for proning and I know that I can also wing it if the wind is strong like 20kts. I also have excellent dedicated wingboards such as KT 60L, Jimmy Lewis Custom 70L, and Kalama E3 at 92L. Iā€™m about 80 kilos and pretty old, but a foil-brained frothing grom who seen 64 rotations around the sun.

3 Likes

I would say. If someone never surfed, I doubt you can learn to prone foil on a dedicated sub 5ā€™ surf foil board in the 30-50L? The row while paddling must be hard, where to sit while waiting for the wave, could be a battleā€¦and the pop up needs to be nailed down for sure before thinking about it IMO. Starting by surfing a longboard can helpā€¦or trying to prone a large wingboard using white water is probably your best bet also.

But if you want to connect wave after waveā€¦a dedicated board is pumping so much better or a 10lbs bigger board as Kai is mentionning makes sensā€¦I assume he can link multiple waves with such a light board, isnā€™t it @Kai .

I know they are linking more than one wave with sup foil boardā€¦but when you try something small such as a pocket board while dock startingā€¦or a small Surf Foil Boardā€¦you kind of want to pump that instead of bigger.

2 Likes

Will echo what others have said. Time and limit to the amount of spots / conditions is the biggest obstacle, though I will say focusing on multiple disciplines (winging, prone, SUP, DW, dockstart) has opened up more possibilities. I also live in the bay area and there is always a condition thatā€™s good for something as long as you are willing to drive.

Iā€™m asking similar questions. I wing a 78L board and want to learn to ride a sinker and also learn to prone. Iā€™m 77kgs, came to winging from kiting, and only surf sporadically, more lately because of my interest in prone foiling. Is there a ā€œperfectā€ board for me or will I have to make sacrifices one way or another?

Some criteria Iā€™m thinking:
Can take a beating - carbon?
Strap Inserts
Easy paddling
<50liters
<4ā€™10"

Wing boards work in the surf, but are very wide. That means theyā€™re stable though. So itā€™s all a trade off. Use what you got. But you will eventually want a dedicated board for whichever discipline you are doing.

2 Likes

This would be a great sinker wing board and still work well for prone IMO:

1 Like