Stick with Armstrong or try out Lift/other brands?

Hi everyone I’m a beginner/intermediate prone and wing foiler. I’m still trying to learn how to pump back out to the line up and link waves without failing down. So far I progressed from Armstrong 1550 then went to a Takuma 1095 (helped me to learn how to glide off of waves and pump a bit back out), but now I have gone back to Armstrong 925 HA since I hate how my takuma front wing will loosen up during my sessions.

My goal right now is to be able to catch a wave, pump back out to the line up, and link a wave for a cycle of 2-3 times while prone foiling.

I have heard good things about lift foils and was interested in getting the 150 HA-X, or should I save my money and stick to Armstrong 925? I currently live on Oahu/Maui, so there’s somewhat of a decent market for used gear.

I personally am a huge fan of the 150HAX for prone waves stomach high and under. What’s your weight? I’m at 200lbs, and the 150HAX was the wing that drastically changed my approach to linking waves. I’ve owned the Lift 200 Surf, 150 Surf, 120HA, and 150HAX. The glide of the 150HAX comes very easily and in NJ it’s my daily driver for prone. For rears, I’ve used 26 Carve, 25 Glide and 32 Glide paired with it. They all have advantages, but if you are looking for a Lift rear wing and are over 180lbs, 32 Glide is great for softer drawn out turns. 26 Carve allows for a tighter turn, but I would consider the fuselage extender paired with it because the Carve comes with a shorter fuse. A longer fuse will help you get out the back a bit easier. My buddy @Maxipadd is in the 150lbs range and he uses the 150HAX for downwind. I don’t downwind yet, but I’ve had my longest shore runner on it at 4 mins. It has a wide range of applications.

3 Likes

I don’t think you can go wrong with either choice. The new Armstrong HAs are amazing pump/prone foils, they pump really well and are very even tempered. I’ve found the Armstrong connection to be the most rigid I’ve used(haven’t tried Lift) and I’m a big fan of the system. My suggestion would be to try one of the new HAs before changing brands.

If you can try both the new HA and a Lift set up that would be the best way forward in my opinion. Then you can see how they feel to you rather than trying to suss out all of our opinions.

1 Like

I would recommend giving the newly released HA’s from armstrong a try. Try both the 880HA and the 980HA so be right in that range of the 925.

1 Like

Thanks for all the info on different lift gear. I’m around 135 lbs. hopefully I can find a used set up to try out.

Hmm :thinking: foiling is an expensive hobby :rofl:

You should contact Lift and see if there’s a demo floating around in your area. Our local rep in NJ has been on it with making sure we get hands on stuff. As for your weight, 135 is lighter than most people I’ve seen on the 150HAX. This doesn’t mean it wouldn’t be a help with pumping out the back for you. It would just feel less responsive in roll compared to the 120HA which is well within your weight range. I would try both of those wings and see which is better for your ability and conditions.

A few thoughts, ideas, recommendations:

1. If you are in Oahu/Maui demo and borrow as much stuff as you can before buying. Keep in mind that demos are usually the worst version of the foil you’ll experience. Try to focus on specific attributes that you are interested in with the foil, it takes time to grow into them.

2. I’ve heard the new Armstrong HA’s are good, that would be a smaller financial strain for you. I’ve never heard anyone say Armstrong is straight up bad either.

3. Right now it sounds like your only goal is to link waves and increase pumping ability. Most people I know get that from sizing up their existing foil. Switching brands and re-learning to pump a different brand of foil is usually tough as a beginner/intermediate.

4. Don’t forget everything else that you want to do. You say you want to link waves but do you also want to make turns? Is speed important? Really consider what your riding style is and make sure the new foil you pick will compliment those other aspects about yourself.

When I picked my new foils there was a definitive ah-ha! moment. I tried a ton of brands and noted pros and cons of each. Then I found the brand that suited my style, and it was an easy change and I’ve never looked back.

1 Like