Lift Foils for wing foiling… optimal config

Keen to hear what Lift Foil users are running when wing foiling - surf range (100v2 and 150v2) or the HA (90-120-170) or if anyone has dabbled with new HAx range (110-150). I’m currently riding 170HA and 26 carve with extender.

I like the 150surfv2 for lighter wind. The ha90 for anything where I know getting up won’t be an issue. 26 tail. No extender. Only had the 28" mast.

1 Like

90ha with carve 26 tail either stock or while extension is super fun!

You need to have some power, but I use that for winging pretty much standard. I’m ~75kg

I learned to wing with an old 170 surf wing which is super low aspect. Worked great though at the time so I bet the newer surf wings would be fun.

My guess is the new 110 and or 150ha Xs would be fun for downwinging and connecting bumps. Probably hard to snap turns like the 90ha or 150 surf etc.

1 Like

Big fan of the HA range. The 170 HA has way better top end than the 200 surfv2 and the turning is pretty equivalent. Both are easy to get up in light winds. I was using the glide tails as I learned but have started using a 34 surf and really enjoying it - can be a bit pitchy but substantially looser. 120 for the better days. 72cm No Limitz mast, no extender.

1 Like

A lot depends on conditions where you ride. Here in DC, winds can be inconsistent, gusty, and light. The 170HA and 38 tail work pretty well across all of them.

2 Likes

I use lift 120HA and 25 glide tail most of the time. Would love to try the 90HA for more speed.

1 Like

Thanks for the input all. I have a 150HAx on order so will retire the 170HA. Alongside the new 150HAx I’m going to give my 150v2 surf and my 120HA a spin.

Also, lift are dropping a new high modulus stiffer mast any day now. I’ll be giving that a crack when it lands.

How much do you weigh? I should have added that to mix as part of this thread as it matters. Also, have you dabbled on the 120HA and if so how are the feels vs the 150v2 surf?

I weigh 170 lbs. 6’1" 58L wing board. 5.2m ensis. I don’t like the ha120. Don’t like it prone either. In fact I sold my lift gear because I didn’t like the 120. I love the ha90. Still my favorite foil I’ve ridden. The 150surfv2 was my previous favorite foil I’d ridden.

The 120 is to wide of a span for my taste. I don’t feel confident hitting white water on the prone board with the 120. The lift mast does flex, which doesn’t bother me a ton, but with my failing boxes in my prone board and the fact that I can’t get it far forward enough was all part of the problem.

I have an Ono setup now. m800 (basically the same size as a lift 120) and a big Ono swift 230 (similar in size to AXIS 1050)

The Ono m800 has a stiffer mast and has a better glide to sink ratio for me personally.

1 Like

Light wind small waves 120 with the Kane 13 R or 13M. Decent wind and bigger waves 90 with the 13M all day.

1 Like

What tail worked best for you during your ‘lift days’ on the 150v2 surf?

I had a custom fuse and tail from green grabber, it was fine. I sold that and got a 26 carve. It was also fine. I probably liked the 26 carve better, but it’s less “tuneable”. That could be good or bad I guess.

2 Likes

The 150 HA X is my new daily driver for winging
At 190-195 lbs, I can get going on my 60L in 15-16mph. My key takeaways— gets up on foil as easily as the 170, but the glide and ease of pumping makes it a standout- take it from someone who sucks at pumping.

I like the 150 v2, but prefer more wind and real waves for that foil. I sold my 120 due to less use. Was fun for towing and winging in strong winds, but it was in the bag too much. Never tried to prone the 120. Likely getting the 90 for next Peru trip for more speed than the 150V2 and for help in the flat sections.

2 Likes

The 90 is the best lift foil I’ve tried. 150surfv2 had a bit more low end. It the 90 was way better prone and wing than the 120 for me.

1 Like

150HAX is my daily driver too. I winged the 90HA earlier this week too, and it was excellent. have you got your hands on a 90 yet?

Looking for a 90 to take to Peru in Sept and use for towing
Sold my 120

I have been winging a bunch since I kicked off this thread. In this time, I sold my 120HA and 32” classic mast and took delivery of a 150HA and 32” X2 mast. I’m enjoying the pump and the glide of the 150HA (26 carve with extender) on the new mast in ~15-knot winds. I also realised that north of 20 knots, a smaller front wing was necessary so that I wasn’t so “locked in”… enter the 90HA, which, as some here have commented, is excellent! If I were to throw some more cash into the Lift quiver, I’d grab a longer mast and possibly the 110HA. If I had a bigger bag of cash, I’d be considering an F-one setup. Magic gear! Keen to continue to hear what is working for other Lift riders (be it Lift or another brand) and any thoughts on the 110HA or the 150 surf v2…

And in something unrelated to this thread, and more to do with this forum, check out the great discussion between Erik and Hawaiian Waterman Zane Schweitzer. What a legend!

Loving the 150X / 26 carve + extender combo as well but have been winging the 110X / 26 carve + extender quite a bit lately and loving it! That said, at my 90Kg it needs to be solid 3.5 conditions or better for me to prefer it over the 150. The 110 is a lot more work and thus more fatiguing, you get out of it what you put into it. The acceleration is impressive though the top speed so far has only been about a mph faster than the 150 (and neither any faster than my Go Foil kit surprisingly). Could be I just suck at going fast… Impossible to tell what it could do in really flat water though, we don’t have any.

Where this is really going to shine is on monster ocean ground swell. Gorge waves are generally too small and short period except in 30+ (which is thankfully pretty common).

110X Pluses;
Easier to ride and more forgiving than it looks like it should be.
Acceleration.
Glide (but it’s best glide speed is quite high).
Surprisingly low stall speed.
Wips a pretty tight turn, rolls faster than the 150.

Minuses
Occasional “what the hell was that” moment.
Sink rate is relatively high but it is only 710cm2
Have to go ‘back to the wing’ more often in marginal waves than on the 150.

Appreciate the detailed rundown. Absent demoing gear, this back and forth is the next best thing!

I should add that my recent riding is in flat water. I’m 87kg so similar weight to you. It’s great to get perspective from someone riding waves.

Have you tried the 90HA at all?

Have not tried the 90 or 120, lift is new to me this season. I toyed with the idea of the 90 but ultimately figured it was probably too small for our relatively gutless waves. The 120 would have been the safer choice but figured if I hate the 110 I could sell it without much loss (not gonna happen). There’s a Lift rep in town here so a demo is possible but have been too lazy to set anything up. I’d like to try the 20 carve tail w/ extender and a glide just for comparison. Have a KDMaui 14 Marlin and it’s great too, a hair faster than the 26C. Higher stall speed but goes upwind better, more relaxed feel (longer fuse).

Next up will be a mast experiment via another foilparts adapter. More on that after the next wind Thursday.

What are your feelings about the X2 mast compared to the classic?