Uni / progression Collab wings prospective customer

The protos in Cali are way off the finished production foil. I talked about it on the podcast but the mold squished so the foil section was different. I’d suggest trying to get a go on the production. I was bummed folks got to ride those after I felt it.

1 Like

Yup, I understand and realize it, which is why I posted that big caveat. I only posted it because the original post was asking if anyone had any other opinions besides raving it’s the best wing ever. My comparison is not a diss on the wing either. It’s just something that stood out to me at the time. Plus I really want one for winging. :slight_smile: I don’t exactly know where the one I rode came from btw.

Check the comments here regarding size of rider. Foilwithme is very in shape, but he’s 200 lbs. He’s on the 140. At my 170 lbs the 140 proto felt like I could be at a dead stop and keep pumping.

3 Likes

Good stuff. Foiling took a while to make it to Maine so it’s just starting to bud here now. A lot of skilled surfers here are getting foil curious seeing me go from basically giving up on prone five years ago, to starting to link some turns now.

I always try not to push it on any of my surfer friends and let the foil do the talking, and the tide is starting to turn. I always point them to the pp podcast because even just listening was a game changer for me. One guy just told me he binged listened to 10 episodes in a row :drooling_face::drooling_face:

Basically I’m just jealous that there may be some skilled surfers who learn to prone foil on the Uni/ progression wings. I’ve been recommending uni foil as a pretty good option if you haven’t invested in anything else yet. Just the fact they did the Collab with Erik is rad.

Can you even imagine if it was one of your first foils!

Yeah that probably made a huge difference. Crazy the tweaked mold ones even rode ok.

See above. And go see UniFoil YouTube video…

That’s not what I heard from a bigger guy, but I’m not trying to out anyone. They said the 170 has a higher stall speed than the wing I’m use to, which happens to be the takuma 1210

which fuse and tail size do you guys order by the way?

Last year i got H2 170 + 210 and i got long and short fuse, 13 inch 3 pack, 830 katana. 170 progression on the way. My future plan is to get second full kit with 750 katana H2 250 med fuse 14 inch 3 pack. Im 84 kg and play in low wind fresh water conditions a lot as thats whats in the cards for my backyard conditions. My last foil quiver I did the same thing, and I found that by having the really short fuse, it forced me to become a better foiler. I was stubborn and forced myself to spend the time dialing it in, higher speed wing foiling and behind wake boat on 100cm board. When I moved back to larger fuses, I noticed a significant change in how smooth my riding became and how much more confident I was pushing it in hard carving and S turns. If you have to only get one, I think the standard rule applies, the medium fuse will do it all and not give up too much in either direction. If you can, having the short fuse in my experience will accelerate learning path if you are stubborn enough to stick with it. Of course there are days and situations I love the long fuse too, it really is worth the investment if you are deep into the sport.

Where in Maine are you? I have family in Camden. How is the proning out there in the summer time?Thinking of visiting in June…….

It’s pretty similar to the 1210. Some of the protos that got flattened added about 3mph to the stall speed. So depends what he got to test. Tail is also important. A bigger tail will drop it.

Is the first production run all sold out? Is there an estimated leadtime for orders?

@Erik Im curious to hear your thoughts on the Hyper2. Do you ever ride it (if so what sizes and when)? How does it ride compared to your feel preferences? How do you tune it vs the Prog?

FWIW, Ive got a Hyper2 and LOVE it. Waiting on a Prog. Feels like the hype around the Prog has outshone the Hyper2, which feels underrated.

2 Likes

this is one of our most asked questions, hyper2 or progression

its a tough one to answer , but to sum it up quick

pump progression
speed h2
turning i think they are very close

even thought the h2 wasnt designed for the surf , it still works very well in the surf , but i think the prog has the edge over it in the surf
for winging the h2 is amazing , unless you riding marginal conditions , then the glide of the prog is insane

id say get both … i did :wink:

4 Likes

Love the latest design process podcast episode. I thought it was an interesting point about in-between sizes when you find yourself in the situation where you love the foil but there larger one your often over on and the smaller one isn’t enough. I’m sure it’s in the works :+1:

1 Like

Also thought the latest chat was a great episode, really enjoyed hearing the details, the process, the hurdles. I think there is definitely something to be said for the intensity with which you guys designed this foil deliberately for surfing. Stoked that you are able to share these details.

Stream episode 109 - Cliffy Coetzer and Erik Discuss the Process of the Progression Foil by The Progression Project podcast | Listen online for free on SoundCloud

I tried the progression 170 and 140 this weekend, and they are excellent, far exceeded my expectations. Granted I’ve mostly surfed Axis range and then mostly not riding carbon masts so maybe a low base, but I didn’t realise quite how low… lol

The 140 I really enjoyed in waist-head high beachy, really pretty special, both are slightly higher performance than I was expecting, though once you get them in your hands it’s clear they are performance oriented, but took about 4-5 waves on the 170 and then down to 140 and it just clicked. Only one session but felt really nice, super easy to roll from rail to rail on turns, but then really pitch stable. Surprising was the pump, which was really easy and fast. I would say certainly a very high performance wing that I felt would take me a fair while to get anywhere near pushing it beyond its capabilities in turns.

I think 140 would suit me at 70+ kg, it felt like it pumps much better than the HPS880 which is far larger, 140 isn’t as easy but so much faster, and most of all quite possible to dig it out a hole. Surprising. Definitely way easier pump than ART899 for chopped up conditions which is my main gripe with that wing.
Then maybe a bigger foil for DW…

3 Likes

Y’all should do a BOGO promotion :joy::joy: only kidding

is there an ETA for a Progression 125? I have the H2 170 and as you said it’s fantastic for winging however I’m concerned there may be too much crossover both with Prog170 and 140 to add those to the quiver.

I still have the original 75 uni mast. I know it has a bit to much flexibility, but i have rode it for two years without being really embarrassed. So , has someone tried this progression wings with the old mast.? Is there a real night and day difference with the katana, or is it just a bit better?
I think uni should be more competitive on prices. A lot of good foils on the market. And most of us are happy on axis , f-one, lift etc…so it will be hard to go back to unifoil, except if the brand is very very attractive in every ways. Offering the tail and the back fuse when buying a frontwing is an idea.

So matt , you really prefer the progression 140 than the hps 880?

Yes. I had a few sessions on 880 since the demo and let me just say the credit facility has been tapped. 140 can’t arrive soon enough. I obviously have reservations around whether I’ll enjoy it as much as I enjoyed the demo, but I really quickly realised that I wasn’t going to be happy on the 880 as the back to back was very stark. I’m also never one to buy new gear, let alone pay retail, let alone on a preorder…!

The pricing for the complete is pretty competitive compared to say Axis equivalent, a comparative complete ART+HM pricing is +25% higher on Axis, at least in UK. Agree the 140 plane alone is expensive and maybe not economical to try and reuse the Axis alu mast, but it surely wouldn’t be worth it on the 140 due to the drag. The unifoil original I have no idea but there is a long chat about Tomo enjoying the original mast and it seems like you may be fine on the 140 with it. Depends on your weight, the foil, and conditions I guess.

3 Likes