2023 surf foil choices

F-one skate. (F-one also didn’t read up on cavitation / ventilation, maybe they were looking too closely at Cabrinha)

First look at the front? Looks to be following convention to some extent here. Would like to try this. Adam Bennet’s second favourite f-one wing.

It’s one of the reasons I moved from Axis to North is the much more solid Fuse to Mast connection.
It’s not just bolted on but the connection is tapered and load is transferred over the structure. North calls it Geo-Lock and it is super stiff alright.

2 Likes

Weird. I’ve put hands on some of the new north stuff and didn’t find it to be particularly stiff while that axis stuff is legendary. To each their own though

You’re probably right if comparing their Power Carbon or 19mm Alu. I was coming from their stock V2 Carbon Mast and I found the Alu too draggy and the Carbon was giving me loads of ‘wabble crashes’… no such issues on the North and have now also ordered the SF930 :grinning:

How is that connection different from axis, which is also tapered? Is it a more obtuse angle with the end not touching the fuse? I could see that working.

Exactly, that’s how North describe it in their promo video: Designer Notes | Sonar Fuselage - YouTube
Forward to 2:20

1 Like

I wonder about tapering the mast/fuse connection to a much larger degree. Possibly using 3 or 4 screws to attach.

You’d get solid pitch control and that 90 degree angle where the mast meets the fuse would smooth out.

Anyone tried a SK8 and can advise on sizing?

The spans are quite short; 850cm2 foil has only 82.5cm span for example, so unsure where the lift is coming from. Imagining they will roll well with that short a span.

North SF series

They hired an engineer, so clearly understand the difference between cavitation and ventilation

Looks like interesting new stuff out there, code, f-one, etc…

But also pretty hard to find.

AFS Silk is likely the best surf foil coming.
Good foil section
Good tails
13.8mm thick mast
Small diameter fuselage.
One piece front wing to fuselage.
2500 euro

Cons:
Unknown mast stiffness
One piece wing/fuse makes travel harder.
Some people might like a higher aspect ratio.
Even newer foils (not teased seen yet) could have better sections. (Disclaimer I can only guess the AFS sections, hard to tell without seeing top and bottom surfaces)

Start saving :joy:

7 Likes

So many new options that look great and more coming. Going to be tough to choose one and getting multiple is going to be super spendy. I’m going Uni Progression for prone (ordered and waiting for delivery) and leaning Mike’s Lab 800 or smaller for winging but tons of competitive new options with Code, AFS Silk… and also hear the new F4 foils are great for winging. Gah! Too much good stuff.

1 Like

Anyone tried the Fone sk8 proning? and the eagle proning? They have a top notch construction, thin and rigid hm mast, thin fuse, wide range range of wings. Hearing great feedback overall, not sure on the proning part.
Uni progression : Prob awesome proning, maybe a bit too slow on high period waves (?). Hearing the hyper 2 210 dives forward at top speed (?) Any unbiased feedback?
Afs Silk : too niche I think, not compatible with anything else and expensive/bulky monobloc wings. Prob awesome setup though.
Takuma V2 : mast has variable thickness (it sucks apparently), stabs are not compatible with anything else, fuse to front front wing connection introduces a potential wobble, designer has left takuma so how will they keep improving (?).

2 Likes

Here’s the latest vídeo on the new AFS SILK, might give more insight on these new foils incoming.

3 Likes

I’m in the same boat. Progression 170 incoming for prone and planning on sticking with Axis for winging (for now) until I can justify/afford the Mike’s Lab.

I’ve waited and waited for the surf-specific range from Axis to be released and while I can appreciate that they’re taking their time to “get it right”, it seems from some clips that this new foil/range is geared to moderately decent waves. The Progression hits close to home for me as it is optimized for the exact conditions we see just a couple hundred miles up the coast from JAX.

2 Likes

I am pretty sure the silk will be one of the best foil ever for proning. Laurent borgna ( former kujira designer) took a lot of time to develop that wing, he made tons of testing. And he knows his business. Probably one of the man who has spent the most amount of time working on foil designs. So for sure, this wing will be a serious gear. The cons: winglets, even if tests have proved that they add something, i find them too dangerous. Concerning the construction, no problem, the quality is there, here again, a very serious team is behind all that. Personally i am waiting for axis. I am sure it will be worth the wait.

2 Likes

I 've had two prone sessions with a kujira 2 boy this weekend. He was on the new 800 and 950. Very, very good carving. He was riding better than ever. For pumping, it was an other story. Those wings are small. The silk is a more evolved version of the kujira, with a bit more pumping abilities, i guess. I am sure the 1050 silk will be the unicorn.

1 Like

The brand that is really disappointing me is Armstrong. I still have my gears, but don’t use them anymore .And I don’t see anything exiting coming. Selling the whole stuff would be such a loss.

3 Likes

my god 2500 eur? insanity

1 Like

Like most things in life, you typically get what you pay for but his new set of Gong high aspect foils looks pretty interesting to try out. Anyone have experience with recent Gong foils?