Chop Shop customization

I very slightly rounded the leading edge, but I think square is pretty close to optimal.

Honestly, I found that tail pretty disappointing. Its good for low end, but doesn’t have a lot of liveliness in it. I don’t use it unless I’m really trying to stretch the range of a foil.

Interesting, I winged it back to back with a shiv and didn’t notice that much loss in low end on the shiv so I don’t imagine using it much at all really. Maybe DW

Are there any guides anywhere online or here on how to actually perform the chopping? I’m not exactly the most handy person but sometime I would like to try chopping some old tails to play around.

1 Like

You need a hack saw and some sand paper range 100 to 600 grit. Just lop the ends off, even it up.

1 Like

I find a bench grinder works well, but take steps to avoid breathing carbon dust. A hand-held angle grinder would be my second choice with the tail mounted on a fuse and the board upside down. Finish with sandpaper. A hacksaw is a hack technique and is hard to cut on a curve.

Chopping the 232 to 212 really improves that tail.

I’m lucky enough to have a band saw with an abrasive blade, that’s the ideal, followed by a sander with vacuum.

1 Like