San Diego California

Del Mar Rivermouth.

It works on a 4.5ft or higher tide. Its really only best when the tide is pushing up. When the tide starts to drop the lagoon starts to pull the water out, which makes it tough.

The crowd is mellow. Always a few guys out.

1 Like

Awesome. I’ll be staying around there start of November and looking for foil spots. Any other places to check out around San Diego? I don’t get in waves much, so I’m hyped on anything remotely foilable without crowds.

On the small days the sandbars can be decent to foil in Mission Beach. Higher tide and short period swell is best.

Other than that, check out Sunset Cliffs. Just make sure to avoid the real high tides. Climbing back up can be very sketchy.

I surfed the cliffs for years when we lived in OB/SD and have thought more recently that it could be an epic spot for foiling. I know there is some eel grass out there (and can’t remember exactly but sometimes kelp), but is there a specific tide that seems to work?

1 Like

Anyone wing in the area, or coastal spots that wind focuses at? Looking like some westerly push through today/tomorrow.

I see a good amount of wing guys in Mission Bay. They park on Fiesta Island and cruise around there.

1 Like

+1 on mission bay, couple e-foilers frequent there too. Carlsbad lagoon too, though more finicky on wind iirc.

just getting into foiling, got my setup this week! any one in north county san diego by chance?

Rudy. Im down in South San Diego. Are you looking for a spot to learn at?

a spot to learn and just more foilers to connect with would be awesome haha

San Onofre is probably the best place to learn wave-wise and everyone in the foil area is super friendly.

The small Del Mar rivermouth days on high tide are good too.

I tried to learn on any day possible and that was a mistake. The smallest days are best to simplify everything down.

1 Like

appreciate the info! ill definitely head up to SanO soon then. have you tried terramar at all by chance?

No I haven’t done Terramar yet. It could be a good spot if its deep enough. A lot of breaks are just way too shallow.

1 Like

ill try it out on a higher tide once i know what im doing haha

I havent seen anyone out at Terramar foiling, but I believe it is doable. There are a few folks that foil at Ponto on higher tides.

Cheers.

1 Like