Stainless steel and poultice corrosion

Anyone know if poultice corrosion only occurs with aluminum? I wonder if omen is on to something with using SS for their fuse.

I don’t know about corrosion as I have to take my gear apart every session anyway to fit it in my car. That fuse to mast connection is crazy though. I use the biggest tool I have and crank it as tight as I physically can. Super stiff, no flex in that joint.

I secone hdip on that. I snapped a wera stainless torx key when tightening. The connection feels incredibly solid. Haven’t noticed any wear yet either despite always disassembling after each use although I’m assuming that’s inevitable with time

I very rarely take mine apart and never rinse in fresh water and don’t have any corrosion so certainly a huge benefit over aluminum in that regard. SS is also a lot stiffer and stronger which is the main reason we are using the material in our fuselage. Levitaz has been doing the same thing for quite some time so can’t claim to be the first.

There are a couple reasons you don’t see SS on more foils though, material cost, difficulty to machine, and density. Even with our very thin fuselage and only using the SS for the critical center section it adds a considerable amount of weight to the setup. Omen has an uncompromising focus on freeride wave though, so the extra efficiency and range we get through being able to decrease the size of our fuselage is well worth it. For a rider focused on aerial freestyle though, probably not!

1 Like

I woke up the other day thinking about an engineered SS frame filled with foam and wrapped in carbon, with a vertically ovular shape for decreasing drag when going slow.

How does this omen construction compare to afs fuselink? I have the afs fuselink and it seems like insane engineering. Also has there been any wave ride comparisons of the silk and operator? I suppose code is just going to be higher aspect and more glidey then either. So perhaps not good to compare to code, but would be curious about that too