What's Your Gear for the Year?

Amos Spitfire 4’4 27.5L with 2 degrees shim
Cedrus Evolution 75
Progression 140, 125

Most interested in trying AFS Silk 850, some lower wingspan prone wing for harder carves. Below 900 span and roughly 800-900 area. Welcome to other suggestions.

1 Like

Yet again I’m the only guy on the water having fun while everyone else is on the beach waiting for wind. Best setup I’ve ever used on the wing. Omen 60L, 1050.

2 Likes

All alone today as well.

10 knot average (6-14)
87 kg
85l Sunova Carver 5’10”x20”
Cloud IX fs1150 with cat. 80cm mast.
Ocean Rodeo 4m Glide AA

1 Like

I would have thought most prone people ride shorter masts?

1 Like

Takoon ultra glide 6’x20”x75L
Waiting on ~78cm cedrus surf, but currently wing on takuma’s 85 hd carbon.
K2 950/old 178 tail
Dlab unit 4.5

2 Likes

Any regrets on the Evolution? Nothing but praise?

Gets here this week, not sure yet!

1 Like

You must be stoked!!!

This one:

https://www.instagram.com/p/C5xBil9LtVv/

And that one too:

https://www.instagram.com/p/C2sbprUvfzq/

As long as you’re not bottoming out, a longer mast is all benefits for proning. More clearance on breaching and takeoffs, and pumps way better.

1 Like

Maybe style dependent? I don’t prone but I definitely feel like the big masts make for a lot slower turning.

I agree not bottoming out on small days is the biggest upside of a short mast for prone foiling but I do think there are other benefits to a shorter mast. Faster rail to rail turning, easier to keep foil close to surface (less high above water to balance), less drag since generally less mast is submerged, and also you need a bit less tail shim due to the way the forces balance so you can eek out more efficiency that way.

I use a 75 mast for prone and 87 for wing. Tried to get used to the 80 for both and although I loved the simplicity I ended up going back to the 75 (admittedly mostly becuase of small wave days and a rocky break) and 87 when winging for the extra clearance on the bigger nasty days.

I see lots of guys running longer masts winging but I think ~87 is ideal as its enough clearance for the more hectic days while being short enough to not be too much of a compromise on the above areas. In lighter wind/smaller waves I’ve had lots of fun winging the 75 though. I could definitely get away with an 80 for both but not ideal I’d say.

Also, the way it works out is my 850 generally lives on my 87 mast and 1050 on my 75 mast, they do get switched around but on most days it works out to be plug and play.

2 Likes

Most proners I know are riding 82-85 here in HI. Perhaps due to the wave size and energy. Noticeably more drag while paddling a 90 versus a 75 but not an issue wave riding as I’m normally concerned with going too fast, not too slow. Never noticed a difference in rail to rail turning, aways felt more comfortable cranking turns on the 90 as you had more clearance to lay it over. The increased efficiency in pumping is huge as well, as I typically prone a 700cm wing, so the longer mast makes double/triple/quad+ dips an easier. So many variables and variations in foiling, especially when comparing different wave types or disciplines!

1 Like

I’m in sup downwind 90% of the time, so I’d take my 7’10x18.5 @120l board with my Lift 150HAX, KD 14M and M2 32 mast.

I found this set up has the widest ranger for me, and is a good compromise between carving, gliding and speed.

Next I’d like to give the 110HAX a go, but I remember it was touchy winging, so I’m not very confident with a paddle only :joy:

2 Likes

I think you’re right that wave energy plays a big role. When I was prone foiling in Maui a couple years ago I was shocked at what I was able to catch, even small whitewash there seems to have more power behind it.

That’s interesting you’ve experienced the longer mast providing greater pumping efficiency, I’ve found the opposite - what do you attribute the better pumping to?

Yeah, I would estimate a 15-20% perceived improvement in pumping with the longer mast. It’s clearly more drag while paddling in the water, and Oscars flat water SUP video displays that. But once up on foil the pump is way more efficient. I’m no engineer, but I think it’s the longer lever that creates the increased pump efficiency. :man_shrugging:

This could actually come down to skill/technique on pumping. Similar to how a longer fuse provides additional stability, a longer mast makes it harder to be twitchy on your pumping. I still wouldn’t go to a longer mast, but that’s an interesting concept to consider.

I’m going to surprise myself and say that my gear for the year ended up actually being my Slingshot kite foil setup. 633 front foil, 95cm mast, 90cm 12litre board, and a quiver of zero strut kites.

Learning to wing has been pretty good, learning to DW has been an absolute struggle, but learning to kite foil has been an absolute joy and that was unexpected.

3 Likes

As a long time dedicated strapless kiter who fell in love with the surfy feeling of winging I never even considered kite foiling. What would you say has been so joyful about it?

@Bwalnut I love being able to ride a tiny board, I love having power on tap with the kite, and I love how uncomplicated it is to get riding again. It’s such goofy fun. Endless floaty footswaps, sitting on the board, carving around on the flats, trying weird tacks and gybes.

I’d say that for any foilers who already know how to handle a kite - they’re missing out on a whole lot of fun by not adding some kite gear.

3 Likes