F-One Foils for Prone

Why F one over unifoil? Seems like uni is making some of the best prone gear on the market.

Speed (top end), construction (high modulus and thinner fuse/mast), distribution (in europe)

Uni progression in very small slow low powered waves but fone has all the bases covered.

i have the eagle 790 with xshort fuselage and custom tail on the hm14 80 cm mast.and i would like a bigger wing for tiny waves.
i am 62 kg. i can pump and surf the eagle 790 from knee high waves but the waves are to weak at this size to do proper turns.
i was wondering about the sk8 950 or 1050 or seven seas 1200 or phantom 1280.
any thoughts?

Iā€™m not surf foiling but eagle larger than 890ā€¦they glide a lot but turn less. The sk8 is pretty close in gliding but turns a lot moreā€¦and pumps good. The seven seas 1200/1000 are a bit tickerā€¦but they turn pretty good and if you paired them with a better tail than the 250 surf it could be an interesting alternative. But +1 for the sk8 950/1050ā€¦require a bit more speed to become nimbleā€¦it has a low stall speed but it shines when you put a bit of hp vs the SS where it works at the very bottom of the stall speed. Maybe something to compute if you take the sk8. Itā€™s the most fun foil I owned(sk8).

1 Like

I suspect eagle 890 or sk8 950, but I donā€™t have the answer for this, also wondering what could work. If the waves are low period the progression foils go amazingly well, but small swell high period remains a mistery.

thanks for your answers. i wil try to demo the sk8 and the ss!

How did it go??

Progression 125 is completely different than the others, like a Lift 120 on steroids, highly recommended

2 Likes

for this size of wave and your weight , sk8 950 should be good ā€¦ for the seven seas 1400 i started to be annoyed by it on prone foil , hard to pump when you got too much speed so i decided to use the C200 stab of the skate and itā€™s a different beast now, i can tackle bigger wave height.
Ultimate small prone will be the bigger sk8 , i hope they are comming soon.

i have tried the sk8 950 and it was really good.

i was looking to find one but the price is just to high for me.

i have decided to change my setup and to go with a french brand called Allure. The front wing are around 500 euros wich is way cheaper than fone (900euros)

by the way f one makes really good product

1 Like

What about me,

95kg what size eagle and sk8

For what what size of waves ? As for the eagle i tried it only on wing foil , i tried the 890 with the regular stab and with a carver stab , carver stab give it for sure more maniability , eagle is easy more locked than the sk8 if i could say that.

Carefull with the allure a buddy of mine got a freestyle 1000, and disco 1200 and 800 with the last mast before itā€™s became a saballure , heā€™s got some issues with the mast rake , same crappy issue i got with armstrong on non armstrong board.
Itā€™s good gear but not plug and play, his disco is like heavy front footed at low speed and very back footed at hight speed very weird feeling.

Ahh, for proning

All sizes under 6ft usually for bith the sk8 and eagle

there are no front that can do the whole from 1ft to 6ft , unfortunately you have to segment a lot. For 95kg , i will said the sk8 1050 should be good from 1,3ft to 2.6ft with your weight at 82kg that my range with the sk8 950 , with the 7 seas 1400 my range is from 1ft to 1.6ft . The bigger the wave the less appropriate it is for prone surfing only , you have to rely on tow in and stuff like that with very small front wing, not from what i experienced but more from what ive seen.

no problem for me with the allure foil.
i had my first wing session with it (glide 750) and it was a real blast!

i think sometimes people start tuning their gear but they donā€™t understand what they are doing. they shim the baseplate, the stabā€¦ even before finding the good placement in the tracks. And they blame the gear!

Can you explain more on your ranges?
Im curently riding a 1050naish ha (9.2aspect, 98cm span)

I have used it in 6ft waves, but can not turn of course.

The bigger the waves the smaller foils need to be used as tow. Why is this? Harder to pump right? And if thatā€™s the case then i feel like i can just use the 850ā€¦what are your thoughts my friend :slight_smile:

Because you have to adapt the foil to the power of the wave if your foil is too big for the wave :

• the pressure of the foil can push you out while the wave form at take off ( this is usualy the first warning )
  • going straight at take off not being able to break the line
  • cannot pump because the foil is stuck in forward motion
  • too much pressure on front foot to absorb the bump , like having very hard spring on your shork absorber

The bigger the wave , the faster the initial speed the wave give you .
Which help for staying up when you are passing the wave, and the smaller the foil the faster you cover ground .
For tow in wave from what i saw , people dont automatically connect as they have the jet ski to do it and or sometime there too much ground to cover ( long point break) .

I have now spent a fair amount of time proning the eagle 790/890 and the sk8 850/950, so I bring this report in case it can be helpful.
My current quiver is the 950 for ankle to hip high, sk8 850 for hip to chest, and eagle 790 above chest high. At ~80kg, all these wings allow to connect 3 to 15 waves when matched with the right power/conditions. I suspect the sk8 750 is a bit too much energy to pump for me, I would go eagle 690 instead. The eagle 890 is starting to feel like too much span already, would not go bigger. I would not use slower than the sk8 950, I heard the sk8 1050 is more pump and glide oriented, or for bigger guys.

The sk8 is essentially an eagle chopped with 10cm less span. So the speed range of the eagle 890 and sk8 850 are very similar for example. You get less glide on the sk8 but you can bring more chord by sizing up while keeping a reasonable span, so more low end.

For the turning, an eagle turns about the same as a sk8 one size up, eagle 790 ~ sk8 850. However the sk8 has a smoother/buttery feel in the turns, more control, better breaching ability.

Stab and fuse are yet to be fully explored. I find the sk8 to be harder to roll at top speed, but that is when using short fuse and c200 chopped. Currently exploring shorter fuses. I tried the stock XXXS c180 with the 850, felt nice and nimble but a bit too pitch sensitive. I think the sweet spot is somewhere between XXS and XS.

Do all wings become harder to roll at top speed? Have you found a fuse/tail tuning to counter that?
Anyone tried the eagle X? Is there a sk8 X coming after that? (like the new army HA)

9 Likes