Progression 140 just arrived! First ride

cool
when do you switch from 170 to 140? I mean what period and size (MSW forecast)

For surfing I only use the 140.

For DW, prog 170 if it is light and havenā€™t tried yet the 140 but should be my go to when it is 20nd and more.

One thing I find when someone gets the foil here is that theyā€™re over pumping it. You can slow down the cadence and use the glide. If you pump it too fast youā€™re working against it and losing the efficency. Hope that helps. Play with how slow you can pump for a few connections.

10 Likes

First ride today - Progression 140. Winging on 65L board w/Katana mast, short fuse, Shunt 13, 63 kg, 63 year old rider. San Franciso bay and Fort Point. It pumps, it glides, it turns - just as advertised. Easily my longest ferry wake ride (top of pic) yet and most fun with turn after turn. Also went upwind very well. In short - Iā€™m stoked!!! This is what I expected foiling would feel like when I started mid-2021.
Previously Hyper 170 V2.
Been there with you @Erik on this project from the first podcast where you and @Clifford discussed the project. Super happy and will be shouting your praises in the bay area.

6 Likes

Thanks for posting the review. How does the speed of the P140 compare to the H2 170? Also, what length of Katana mast are you using?

Thanks!!! Feel free to reach out with any questions on setup and tuning for different feels or conditions.

1 Like

Erik: can you give your thoughts on masts with the progression foils? Katana vs cedrus and nolimitz

1 Like

First wing session on the 140. I am pretty much beginner+ level, upwind, some gybes into small bumps and not much else, and I was worried it would be too pitchy and high performance for my level (Axis HPS 880 was generally too fast and unstable to enjoy)

Pretty surprised, had easily my most in control wing session to date. The low end became more obvious with the wing as I donā€™t have good wing handling on the gybes and the low end saved me on a few.

The other thing that was very cool was the tip breaching - I could ride along with the tip skimming and ventilated, even managed a glance down to see the bubble on the tip, and managed to ride through it. That was probably a highlight for me.

Wind was steady 15kn, 4m wing, 6ā€™4x21 DW board, most of the others were on 6m wings. I canā€™t imagine I need the 170 for winging tbh.

2 Likes

Katana is amazing. Super stiff and fast. No Limits is almost as fast but super light. Really depends what Iā€™m doing. The 78 size is great prone and the light weight makes it very easy to throw around. Towing I use the 83 katana as that size and speed is amazing. Winging 83 katana. Downwind 75 katana. Both those masts are epic and it depends on what youā€™re doing.

I havenā€™t been on a Cedrus in a while and Iā€™m super excited to see if Kyle will come out with a faster mast in his bombproof construction. I heard thatā€™s in the works and Iā€™m stoked to see what he comes up with.

P140 felt faster than H2 170 - I really couldnā€™t feel any downside. I probably shouldnā€™t say any more until I sell the 170 :wink:

Whats the thickness of the Katana? I was surprised to see you say it was faster than the No Limitz which is 16mm, is the Katana thinner? I dont see the specs on Unifoilā€™s website

Thanks, I just got the P140. Havenā€™t had a chance to take it for a spin yet. Hoping itā€™s faster than the Kujira 1095 when winging (what I mostly used pre-P140). P140 seems a bit thinner so hoping that helps.

What length is your Katana mast?

I live in the Bay Area too. Iā€™ll come out to Crissy one of these days and we can chat about tunings.

They mentioned 19 at the base tapered to 14 at the fuse in one of their youtube vids. So the important bit is thinner. Guessing foil profile also a big factor.

The average thickness is about the same as the nolimitz. The shortest chord on the katana appears to be about 11.5cm at the bottom and getting wider towards the top. The nolimitz has 12 cm chord the whole way. Assuming the foil sections are both close to max efficient i believe that means that if the whole mast is submerged there would be more drag from the katana, but operated on the bottom end of the mast the katana is slightly faster. Iā€™m not trained in hydrodynamics so take this with a grain of salt, but it seems to line up with Erikā€™s feel based answer

3 Likes

Katana is very height dependent, once you are more than halfway sunk the drag becomes extreme

1 Like

Based on my understanding:
Katana is 19 tapered to 14.5
Axis HM is 20 tapered to 14.5
Cedrus is 19
NL is 16.7

As Kyle from Cedrus often highlights, the chord of the mast also has a big impact on drag, so comparing thickness alone is not a complete depiction of drag. I donā€™t have chord measurments for all of these and I think several of them are also tapered in chord (as well as thickness).

1 Like

I had a cedrus mast and loved it with my Axis hps/bsc. When i got on my smaller vyper and hyper2s i felt the drag for the first time.

I got the stsndard Uni carbon mast which is plenty stiff enough for me at 83kg and super slippery snd fast.

Mike

1 Like

Playing around with tails, I found the Shunt with a +2 to be really interesting to feel out the low end. This is probably what Iā€™d recommend based on my experience with Shiv and Shunt for crappy low power conditions where takeoffs are marginal and kicking off the wave without any speed, as I was able to dig through. Once on the wave it gave nice feedback and felt nice and accelerated through slow controlled turns in weak waves.

On tails and tuning, I saw on the facebook chat to consider the tails in order above as fast, medium, slow optimised, corresponding to big, medium and small waves. This is how they would be considered for airplane design. The front back foot pressure to me is only half the story as you will balance your feet to correct trim anyway, while the ā€œliftynessā€ of the tail should be match the to speed (of the waves). That helped me to think through when each would be appropriate.

1 Like

I think the shape of the leading edge and trailing edge is also super important, rounded vs sharp.
The Uni Katana has more sharp edges than other brand, I think this is why also it is that good.

Hey guys. First time poster. Long time lurker :eyes:. Im currently a beginner. Only been prone foiling.

Just took the P140 out for the first time at the inlet at NSB, FL. I was on the shunt 14ā€, 1 degree tail shim and med fuse.

I was worried this wing was too small for me since Iā€™ve been mostly on a Takuma 1210. I have to say the P140 feels like a bigger wing. I think the increase in efficiency improves the glide and makes it feel like a bigger wing. For me the pump cadence was noticeably slower than the Takuma 1210 which was a shocker.

During the session I had a breach and the wing seemed to have a slight bobble and stabilized it self. Iā€™m super stoked with this wing and I canā€™t wait to try the P170. I have to say even at my level I could tell this was something different in a positive way. I canā€™t imagine how it feels for the advanced foilers and what kinds of subtleties theyā€™re picking up. Overall 5 stars and 1 chefā€™s kiss :pinched_fingers:

5 Likes