Progression 140 just arrived! First ride

What’s your weight @Stoked?

1 Like

I’m at 177 lbs/80 Kg right now. Hoping to lose a bit of weight as I get deeper into this addiction… I mean boardsport.

2 Likes

Looking for advise…
I’ve currently got a 170 vyper, I mainly prone surf ( Gold Coast based normally beach break conditions) but occasionally Wake foil aswell.
I can only purchase 1 foil so am I getting the 140 or the 170?

Edit: I’m 80kg

Cheers Glen

1 Like

I can’t really comment on the P170 since I haven’t tried it. Funny enough I was supposed to get the P170 and some stuff happened and I ended up getting the P140. I have zero regrets and I’m absolutely frothing on the P140. Two sessions in and I’m setting PRs for distance traveled (see pic below).

I guess my question is are you planning on doing any DW? And if so does the vyper 170 work well for DW? If not the P170 might be a good all arounder if you plan on doing prone and DW.

Another option is just delivering pizzas for a few weeks/months and just pick up both wings :man_shrugging:t2: Anyway I’m stoked you’re jumping on a Progression wing. It’s been a blast!

BTW I’m jealous you’re on the Goldie. Dbah and Fingal were some of my favorite places to surf. Rainbow bay was also nice on a weekday. If you can travel, Yaroomba has some nice foil friendly spots as well. And Noosa ain’t too bad either.

1 Like

I own and have only rode the 170, it is definitely made for small low energy waves (Florida). It’s great for light wind winging as well. Once there is any good groundswell or size you will want the 140.

I’ve never been to the gold coast but it seems like you get awesome swell there so the 140 would therefore be the call.

3 Likes

@Stoked @Rad_Duke

Thanks for the advise fellas.
I have no want to DW any time soon so I will grab myself a 140.

Yeeewwwwww

1 Like

I was struggling with the best trim for glide on my setup and after trying a few tail shim combos decided to try a baseplate shim. 2mm thick end at the back, this was a huge unlock for me, it both improved the glide, making the pump more intuitive, and feels looser and more playful. Gliding links and whippy turns for days.

The same shim on my axis 880 improved pump but didn’t do much for glide or turns.

Anyone else run baseplate shims? The board is pretty flat so I don’t think I’m just removing rocker influence.

Edit: should add it was a smaller clean day, also I don’t understand how baseplate shims work because I would have thought the thick end at the back would increase the effective angle of attack making it more likely to stall but this didn’t seem to be the case.

Did you go neutral on your tail shim with the baseplate shim? Did you keep the mast position in the same place?

My next test is baseplate shim as my friend saw me riding and pointed out that I look a little nose high. Seems like a baseplate shim will help level out the board when up and riding but it might also add unwanted lift when paddling for and catching the wave. My thought is that the board is still flat on the water but now the entire foil is angled and will generate more lift. Not sure so I’ll just have to try I guess.

I haven’t base plate shimed the Unifoil, I used to do it on kujira 1095 and cab800 but I put the thick part in the front bolt To me that gives more front foot pressure and for forgiven at low speed.

I would be afraid to have back foot presure by shimming the back of the base plate, no ??

@Gneve Kept it +1.5 with the shiv, same position.

@gregclosier hmm this is why I ask, to me I’ve always found the thick at the back (nose down…?) makes the pump easier, same with Axis where this with the 1099 made the pump much more forgiving by making it easier to get high on the mast.

KDW calls it nose up and nose down which is easier maybe, also he has an explanation which I think resonates with my experience:

To effectively tune your baseplate angle, you first need to figure out how your specific setup is already tuned. Here are some trends I’ve found with different plate angles:

Nose down = pivot turns, small taps pumping, “dropping out” or stalling while pumping, back footed carve, Not secure at high speed.

Nose up = carving turns, secure high speed, hard to bring back up in pumps.

Nose up is usually preferred in high speed riding like winging, towing, or kiting.
Nose down is preferred in lower speed or more pump specific situations like downwind, small wave prone, flat water pump.

To be honest maybe it felt more balanced, but I’ve only had one session like this. It is interesting that your experience different but my attention was primarily on the glide and low end.

1 Like

The progressions like a flat foil to stance angle. So depending on your board and it’s rocker shimming the plate can make it feel better.

3 Likes

Thanks Erik! Interesting, I took the shim out and really felt like I had to work much harder to keep the speed up. I think the board is flat or near flat. Maybe I’m too heavy on the front foot or stance too far forward? Any other thoughts would be appreciated! I’ll cut the shim in half and see how 1mm angle feels.

1 Like

I don’t want to use this platform to put eyeballs on my channel. But I did do a little video about my first 3 days on the progression 140. I am far from a great foiler but since getting on it I feel a real positive change in my foiling. I listed it below if interested

5 Likes

First session winging on the 140 today. It is excellent for its intended purpose. Yes it’s slow, but it is really magic in sloppy waves. I was finding ways to work pump into my turns and build speed in some very new ways (for me). The pump is also excellent. A couple times I came down the face of a wave and was able to compress and make a single pump to the next peak. I think it’s going to match my downwind conditions perfectly.

Honestly, it isn’t the wing I was expecting (particularly the speed) but I think there’s a very fun place in my quiver for this.

I found it a lot like the 1095 but even more nimble and slightly lower stall speed. Biggest difference is the solidity of the connections and build quality vs Takuma.

I need to try it in more conditions but the h2 190 might be faster than the Prog 140 and they might have similar stall speeds. Don’t hold me to that though.

Normal fuse, Marlin 14 tail, 0.5 degree shim (I would run zero shim next time).

2 Likes

You can really speed up or slow down the progressions with the tail. The shiv at zero will be a lot faster than the marlin 14 at .5. You will lose of touch of the low end but in good surf it’s worth it. I choose my tails for sessions based on the speed range I want to be in. Takuma 178 is epic for getting lots of low end out of it. 158 is in the middle. KD13R, shiv are pretty fast. The tail we just finished that should come out end of summer is much faster.

It’s funny, the feedback from a lot of lift 120/90 riders has been that its slow after the first session or two, but then as they get it dialed they’re stoked on the speed and the low end trade is worth it.

3 Likes

For the 3 pack is the 13 a lot faster than the 14? I have the 14 and seems a bit grabby for winging when the wind is stronger. Assuming I should chop or get something smaller but wanted to sanity check how big of a difference there is btwn the 14 vs. 13.

13 is definitely faster.

@erik I picked up an 18” race tail that needs a chop, what would you suggest as the best addition to my setup if I already have the g10 13” pack? I guess something bigger and slower but maybe the profile is too fast and better off making something for top end handling?

I find the race tail to be a pretty slow profile compared to the new tails. Start with a chop to 14, which is big, but to feel it out. You can always chop more. Ive had my best feels on that tail chopped to around 12 with a small shim. .25ish.

1 Like

Ok thanks, I think I want to get something close to what you describe with the Takuma 178 ie add something to the low end, so will start at 14" and see how it goes.